I want to be perfect when I grow up. Realistic goal, huh? 🙂 I hate making mistakes, but I make a ton all the time. Here are my top 5 favorites for VBS 2010:
1. I sent out a postcard to all the kids who pre-registered for our first ever night time VBS. It proudly proclaimed, “We can’t wait to see you Monday night.” Yeah, night VBS started Sunday night.
2. Forgot to communicate systems. PM VBS peeps did a great job counting money but I didn’t tell them to roll it = tons of bags of pennies. Thankful for an administrator who saved me on that one. We don’t have a good count on one AM day because I failed to communicate the system.
3. After 10 years of VBS I know better, but I wore flip flops most of the time. Cute, comfy Yellow Box flip flops + jumping and running around = jacked up ankle. 🙂
4. I didn’t say thank you enough. Why is it that at the end of the week I always realize how precious our volunteers are and regret I didn’t say thank you nearly, nearly enough?
5. I totally forgot to schedule snacks for 5th graders at night. If anyone is hungry it is 5th grade boys. Glad they didn’t eat the volunteers while we figured it out. So thankful for leaders who just fixed it.
Overall lesson re-learned – don’t do anything alone. Have EVERYTHING proof-read and double and triple checked. Walk through every step with other leaders. And most importantly, never assume or pretend you have it altogether. God will quickly remind you of the truth. 🙂
But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 2 Corinthians 12:9
So, what are your funniest recent mistakes?