I don’t generally get excited about curriculum. A more honest confession is probably that I am somewhat of a curriculum snob. Not towards what you use – I think you should use whatever best fits your church. Maybe it is the used-to-be teacher in me, I just tend to be picky.
So, I’m excited to share with you that I’m really excited – for the first time in a long time – I’m really excited about a curriculum that is about to come out. Lifeway is preparing to release their “Gospel Project” curriculum.
Here is why I’m excited about it:
– It walks kids through the Bible chronologically with every story pointing towards Jesus and the gospel.
– The sample lessons I’ve looked at look engaging and adaptable, yet not complicated. (In the past, I’ve found Lifeway curriculum to be pretty clunky.)
– There are options for all age groups – preschool through adult. Even if your whole church didn’t want to do it, you have lots of options of keeping age group ministries on the same page or all kids, etc… I think there are great benefits to this when done well, especially for transition between ministries.
– There is an established three year scope and sequence.
– Some key voices for the gospel have had a role in establishing the curriculum, such Matt Chandler, JD Greear, and Ed Stetzer.
I really look forward to learning more about it. In fact next Wednesday I get to go hangout at Lifeway for a webcast where they will be sharing lots more. You need to plan now to tune in here on March 14 at 2:00 (CST). Tune in and learn why you should be excited!